A Woman's Perspective



Message from Dan: "I asked my wife to do the blogging for me, because I like the way she writes & I think you will, too!
Besides.... I'd rather be fishing!"


Friday, September 23, 2011

LUNCH & A BLOG


So… its been an emotional journey this week.  We have a good friend who passed over into heaven on Monday night.  She fought a long hard battle with breast cancer (no capital letters for that disease!).  So I’ve found myself needing some extra comfort this week.  My fall women’s small group met at my house on Tuesday night and I invited them into my kitchen and proceeded to make an apple pie from scratch.  We talked and laughed together until it went into the oven, and then we went over our lesson and had some worship and prayer time.  Then the oven timer went off and the pie was ready.  You already know our penchant for Blue Bell Ice Cream… in this case the flavor was Homemade Vanilla!  I think women are good at that comfort thing.  We just know what to do to make each other feel better.  Honestly, I know some men who are amazing at that, too, so I love my brothers and sisters who have those empathetic hearts and give good hugs! 

So… this morning I’m at the grocery store ‘cause I have to take a dessert to another event tonight; and I’m thinking to myself, “should I make SOPAPILLAS, or PECAN PRALINES, or HELLO DOLLY’S.”   Of course, I’m also on my cell phone talking to a friend.  I made this custom little shoulder purse to hold my phone so I can just insert an ear bud and talk without having to hold onto it.  So I’m getting more animated in my conversation and I realize that people are beginning to look at me and they think I’m talking to myself!!!  What a hoot! 

So… comfort comes in many forms.  There’s the FOOD form, and the FRIEND form, and even strangers at the grocery store can bring a smile to my face.  The girl who checked me out got excited when she saw the COCOA ALMONDS I was purchasing!  And on the way home, I passed by the Motorcycle Officer who pulled me over earlier in the summer and I wanted to roll down my window and tell him “I’m the one you pulled over back in June and you REALLY blessed my day!”  You’ll have to get Dan to tell you the rest of THAT story.    

So… I decided to comfort my family today with an impromptu lunch of broiled New York Strip Steaks, Baked Potatoes, and some tasty Steamed Vegi’s from the freezer section.  As I deliver my husband’s meal to The Joy FM, I make the decision to change the name of my Hello Dolly Recipe… kind of like building a MONUMENT to mark the faithfulness and love of God.   From this day forward, I’m calling them “HELLO DARYLs” because that’s what the Savior Jesus said to my friend this week in heaven! 

This is The Message version of Psalm 121.  The “moonstroke” reference made me smile.

            “I look up to the mountains; does my strength come from mountains?
No, my strength comes from God, who made heaven, and earth, AND MOUNTAINS.  He won’t let you stumble, your Guardian God won’t fall asleep.  NOT ON YOUR LIFE!  Israel’s Guardian will never doze or sleep.  God’s your Guardian, right at your side to protect you—Shielding you from sunstroke, sheltering you from MOONSTROKE.  GOD GUARDS you from every evil, he guards your very life.  He guards you when you leave and when you return, he guards you NOW, he guards you ALWAYS.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment